8.9.10

Interns.

I've come to have more than just a passing interest in The Sunday Telegraph's magazine, Stella. Last week it had some decent articles, ranging from delis and car boot sales to spunky restaurants and tales of the fashion world. Not to mention photoshoots fuelled by the likes of Christian Dior and M&S. The in depth articles of last week's issue were Fearne Cotton, Vera Neumann (the original Laura Ashley), designer Kinder Aggugini and the most relevant of all, interns.

As I am currently faced with the challenge of finding myself a placement year for university I found this article somewhat appealing. Finding a work placement for a year is going to be difficult, finding a fashion placement is going to be extremely difficult. Finding a fashion placement in New York City that pays? Nee impossible.

I know I'm aiming high, but if you don't aim high you're never going to reach that level. And I want to.

The article talks about a fashion intern, script-development intern, charity intern, parliamentary intern and a gallery intern. A brief summary of the article would be that not all interns are bothered about being paid and the age range is from 18-27. The fashion intern is working at Vivienne Westwood and won her internship in a competition. She states that "if you want to establish yourself over the competition you have to work hard and for free". Whilst this may be true there are no rules saying that you can't find a good paid placement and work hard for it. Generally, the more prestigious the internship, the less likely you are to be paid, i.e. all Conde Nast publications.

I am currently on the hunt (with my pain-stakingly constructed C.V's) for an internship, more specifically, companies I'd like to work for and an apartment. The intention is to find an apartment with Mark and possibly do an unpaid stint at VOGUE after my placement.

I already feel like an intern sat at my desk at every available opportunity. I even had to get some glasses for the occasion.




My trip to London is in a couple of weeks and so far have booked some pretty fabulous places, for example dinner at Paradise By Way of Kensal Green and an overnight stop in the Limousin Suite of The Hand & Flowers. It's meant to be for Thomas' 21st but I can safely say that, as things stand, I have had more pleasure out of it than anyone.
space
space
Oh, and incase I hadn't ranted at enough people; Cheryl Cole + VOGUE = Why? Cheryl Cole + VOGUE x 2 = WHY?! It didn't impress me the first time and it has certainly not impressed me the second. What a lovely Spring cover for October's issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment